Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Thursday, March 3, 2011

This-is-on-my-mind

Here is my contribution for this week's photo hosted by Rhonda over at
 Down To Earth .

I have done nothing to my garden plots since winter arrived suddenly in November after  I hauled several truck loads of maple leaves from my neighbor's yard.  The bags on the right are leaves from a co-worker that gives me all his yard waste for the compost bin.


I can't wait to get started!  In a couple of weeks I can plant some cole crops.  Here is a shot of the front.



Across the sidewalk is the "edible landscaping" plot.  This year I will expand it a bit since I received nothing but compliments on it last year.  The swing structure is in the foreground.  The swing is stored for the winter but will be coming outside soon. 

I watch it grow from my shady seat in the swing!

12 comments:

Mrs. J said...

I'm intrigued by edible landscaping. I'm guessing it's just growing vegetables in an attractive way? I think that is a brilliant idea. :)

Becky said...

HAPPY GARDENING!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Mary I cant wait for spring to get in the garden and clean up the yard . Happy gardening and cleaning. B

rhonda jean said...

I hope you have a very successful gardening season. It's an exciting time starting it off again each year. Happy gardening!

Rose said...

I think I sense itchy fingers. :)

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! Mrs. J ~ I wish I could claim credit for the idea of "edible landscape" but I can't. One of my garden's visitors called it that one afternoon. And yes, I grow flowers and vegetables together. City folk don't know their plants so they just think the blooms on vegetables are flowers!

Dmarie said...

I have a tiny plot in the front of the house that I usually fill with flowers...I want to fill it with edible landscaping this year. Why is that an idea I am just finding out about in the last few years? Planted a tomato plant in there among the flowers and it looked fine!

Kimmie said...

Oh how I wish the bush turkeys didn't ruin my veg gaden attempts. Much success to you!

Independent at 50 said...

i love swings. i love composting. i wish you many happy hours of gardening and look forward to reading about the progress. remember....stretch, stretch, stretch.

Mary said...

Dmarie~I really think it depends on your neighbors, where I used to live it would have been a no no but my neighbors now think its pretty, practical and interesting. AND others in the neighborhood are starting to do it too! Kimmie~is there anything the bush turkey's don't like? Hot peppers perhaps? Independent~it is goingn to take a lot more than stretching!!

Marie said...

I've been doing edible landscaping for years. I'm sure some of my neighbors don't approve but most think it's great and another person in the neighborhood is now doing it too. I think quite a few people don't even realize there are vegetables in there.
I hope your garden works well... you are making me drool over all these leaves. Now, who knew I'd say that one day.

Susan said...

A great idea Mary... oh, all those leaves for the compost too - just the thing.

Love the swing structure - it's like a piece of garden art when it isn't being a swing! :D