Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The One Enduring Sign of Spring

I have lived in Kentucky most of my life.  And this little flower always rears his head to announce spring.  In some years he gets it nipped by some freezing weather and in some years he rises to the warmth of spring declaring the end of winter with his yellow glory.

Behold the daffodil.  As a kid we called them "easter flowers" because they usually bloom around easter.


Yes.  I'm lying on the ground in my neighbor's front yard to get this shot.  They are used to my bizarre behavior. (The neighbors not the daffodils.)


O My! What loveliness!

And here is his neighbor in the next patch sporting a bi color bloom.


I love them all.

These flowers are in bloom all over the place.  I can remember as a kid seeing abandoned houses in the 70's when people were building their "dream homes" and moving away from farming and  these flowers were a reminder of the families that had left.  They stubbornly came up to the herald the spring.  Now you see them along the roadside where new roads were built and these little guys find a way to peek out.  They endure.  Like the seasons they always return.


This one is my favorite.  The simple traditional yellow daffodil.  He made my day.

Welcome Spring!  It has been a long cold and hard winter for me.  I needed your arrival.

3 comments:

Independent at 50 said...

I agree! My biggest problem with these little guys is deciding whether to cut them and bring them inside or just let them be. Normally, I just let flowers be, but it never fails with these guys...they raise their faces to the sun one day, then the spring rain and wind come and beat them down. It seems to me that they never get to fully live out their beauty. My next biggest problem with these guys is my indecision.....................

Susan said...

Beautiful Mary!
LOL.... I'm sure your neighbours look quite fondly on your 'bizarre' behaviour.
It's true what you say, the daffodil is tough and keeps coming up no matter what is in its way.
In Australia, it is the symbol of hope, strength and comfort.We celebrate with a special Daffodil Day every August to raise money for cancer treatment. (Actually, Daffodil Day was first held by the Canadian Cancer Society in the early 1980s)
Cheers :D)

Anonymous said...

Daffodiles are such a welcome Spring site...unfortuantely, here in Michigan we have another Month before they will come up...
thank you for letting us enjoy yours until then :)
~~HUGS~~