Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, March 28, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler

I hit a sale at Kroger and I decided to dig out my favorite cobbler recipe.
This is THE eastern Kentucky cookbook to have.  I will have to do many more posts on this cookbook because the ladies that contributed lived through some tough times and could make good food out of virtually nothing or anything they had on hand.  Vinegar pie anyone?  But lets move on to the cobbler.

I like this recipe because the crust is nice and doughy yet crisp on top.  And it is easy to make.  Lets cream some butter and sugar.....
 
And don't forget the berries.  Hint, if you like your cobbler thick toss the berries in some flour first.  I want mine runny for the juice to go over ice cream.  Yum.

If you are going to cook from scratch.  I say use good ingredients.  No fake flavoring for me please.

After I mix up the dough I smear it over the berries.
Add the sugar.  I didn't use a whole cup.  Those mountain folk like their pies sweeter than I do.
Water goes over the top.
Pop it in the oven and wait for the house to smell wonderful.

I meant to get a shot with the ice cream and pie in a bowl, but I was happily eating blackberry cobbler and didn't want to waste a second lest the ice cream melt.  But it was a very pretty color I will say!
Happy Monday Everyone!
May your week be blessed with the simple pleasures of life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My...that looks yummy...I think I can smell the goodness thru the screen:) I have been tasting cobbler for about a week now...yet have not made one...thanks for sharing your recipe:)
~~HUGS~~

Susan said...

Your recipe book looks like a real treasure.
The cobbler came out beaut - especially with the berries, can imagine the colour with the juice and the ice cream.... oh yummylicious :D)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Mary that looks so good you made me want some I would have ate it to fast to take a photo too. B

Independent at 50 said...

WHERE did you get that cookbook??? i wanna hear and see more! Water over the cobbler, very interesting. And the vinegar pie, what was that?

Mary said...

Independent ~ My stepmother Audrey gave it to me for my birthday shortly after she married my father. It was their anniversary.