Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Thursday, June 16, 2011

Radishes and Strawberry Wine!

Linking with Rhonda over at Down To Earth :


Oddly enough this spring I've had an over abundance of radishes even though I planted late.  Usually I sow them in two week intervals hoping one crop hits the weather just right.  This year was cool and wet and both patches I planted produced lots of radishes.  So I decided not to let them go to the compost pile. 

As usual I sat in my swing with a cold beverage and prepped them.

I decided I would pickle them like I do jalapenos.  So sliced into the jar they go!

I put a solution of half water and half vinegar over them and some salt in each jar.  Boiling solution that is.  Then I put the tops on and called it good.

That was a couple of days ago and now they are a beautiful pink.

Well, trust me they are pink, it was dark this morning when I left the house and took this snapshot quickly on the way out the door.  I also stashed Baby Jar in my lunch bag to taste later today!

Remember the strawberry wine I started back at the first of the year?  I bottled it, and it is a very good batch!

I had some extra that didnt' fill the 5th bottle and I might just have to have a taste this evening.  Strawberry wine has a delicate flavor with just a bit of bite and an absolutely intoxicating bouquet of strawberries.  One of my favorites it is!

8 comments:

Dmarie said...

ooh, love this post. I really must try pickling some radishes. Hubby loves them but I don't eat them...but I might if they were pickled!

Becky said...

WHEW! I read your title and my pallet went into a very confused and anxious state. I read it as Radishes AND Strawberry Wine...LOL! We didn't grow and radishes this year as I was afraid that they would just end up on the compost pile; I'd never heard about Radish Pickles before and now I've read on several blogs about people making them. Perhaps next year we will give them a try.

nellymary said...

Becky, that's the same reaction I had, I just had to check out the radish and strawberry wine...lol...great post Mary!

Chris said...

I love to look at radishes, I love watching other people eating radishes but they just don't like me. I think they are pretty too, but never tasted pickled ones. The strawberry wine looks just divine.

Rose said...

I never considered pickling radishes! My husband Tony loves radishes and he loves pickled things, I think you have put me on to a winner. Thanks.

Mary said...

I never thought radishes would be so interesting to people! Dmarie and Becky do try them they are very good but they do smell when you open the jar! Welcome Golden Lilly and nellymary! The wine was very good. And Rose, I hope you come back to read this because I am unable to comment on your blog these days. Blogger is not co operating.

Denise said...

Pickled radishes - fantastic idea! I'll be giving that a go when I get my garden sorted out.

Independent at 50 said...

so how were the radishes?

very nice wine labels!!!