Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Friday, June 10, 2011

The June Garden

Joining Rhonda over at Down To Earth .

Just a few photos of  my little garden in the front yard.

I crammed all this in front of the beets, onions and spinach.  To the right of the beans (far right in the picture) are some collards.  I love collards and these babies will grow to be huge and a leaf or two will make a whole mess.

The cabbages look so much better out in the front garden where they get full sun!  That is a mustard plant to the right, my main bed is in the back which I will show you later.

I grow my taters in a bag and they do fantastic!  I grow Kennebecs.

This is the other end.  Scotch kale on the right, radishes left and black seeded simpson lettuce with a row of beans in the foreground.  The radishes need to be used or they'll get bitter in this heat.  I may pickle them, anybody have any ideas on how to preserve them?  I had a friend whose mother was Japanese and she made the best radish pickles!


A volunteer bachelor button.

Snapdragon!  My daddy used to put them on my ears as earrings when I was a little girl.

Dainthus!

The lamb's ears blooming with lemon balm behind.

That's Miss Margaret watching out for me.  She's a hoot.

My mustard bed covered to protect it from the hot sun.  The weather is unseasonably hot and dry and nothing is growing or coming up at the moment. I hope we dont' have a repeat of last summer when nothing would grow because our temperatures were above 90 degrees most of the time and we had a drought.  Anything below 90 and we are good to go here with the usual varieties of plants.

I picked the greens and froze about 3 pints.  I usually get at least 8 pints, but this spring stayed cold til may and now its hot.  These 30 degree changes in temperatures overnight make it challenging to garden!


A batched washed and ready to go!

Blanching, then next bagged and into the freezer they go.  I still have two pints from last May and I will plant more in August so I should have plenty for the winter.

For now we need rain!

I hope your growing adventures are moving along.  We had a great (but short) spring for growing cole crops but it ended suddenly.  Looks like the cucumber and beet crops will be nil if the heat doesn't break.  I haven't bothered to plant much in two weeks it has been so dry.  I still have quite a bit of room to plant and you didn't even see my back garden!  Maybe next time.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I know what you mean - my beets came up and then just withered away over night.

Rose said...

My goodness, you've made some progress with your summer planting.

Susan said...

That was just beaut seeing through your vegie plots Mary.
I've heard of collards, but, may I ask, what do they taste like? How do you cook them?

I think your way of growing taters is just brilliant!

Here's hoping you get some rain soon. It's awful when the heat and dry winds parch everything.

Your flowers are so pretty - I grow snapdragons too. Also have the lambs ears... it was nice seeing the same plants we each have in our garden :D)

Cheerio for now!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Mary your garden looks fantastic I have the rain and blackbirds and I am a tad jealous. Great job. B

Dmarie said...

blanching greens...now, why didn't I think of that?! look forward to seeing more of your blog, Mary!

Independent at 50 said...

i want to live next door to you. we could have a garden between our pretty little houses and argue about which flowers are the best.