Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Thursday, August 4, 2011

This is on my mind......

On the way to work last week I saw this gentleman at least 3 times.  I go to work around 6:30 am usually and we were on the same schedule.  This time he shuffled right in front of me.


I can never see his face and he is always pushing this cart.  I was relieved to see the thermos because this particular week had heat advisories each day and he obviously is elderly.


I watched as he slowly shuffled across the street only looking up at the last second.


Seeing him reminded me that since our little city hosted the World Equestrian Games the homeless people have been invisible.  The media reported that they would be housed by churches and such while this event took place last fall.  I don't really know where they've gone.  I do know many people are quite prejudiced about them and think they are a blight and should be given one way tickets to Florida.  No kidding, that was actually a popular solution to the problem a few years ago.

I kept thinking about him as I drove through the early morning.


I haven't seen him since.

7 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

This always makes me very sad there could be a number of reasons he is homeless and on the street. People have no idea they could end up there very easily though no fault of their own. B

Mary said...

I know Buttons! I look for him each morning now but he is gone.

Dmarie said...

I have great empathy for the homeless...but for the luck of the draw, that could be me!

Bobbi@SnoodleDoodles said...

So sad. I hope you see him again. It always breaks my heart to see our elderly on the street. This is no way to treat our elders!
Many of them have fought in wars, have worked hard and paved the way for us now, they have so much to teach us, and we just don't care.

:(

Becky said...

In this day and time it really could be ANY of us on the streets. Some people are led there by a tragedy or other life changing event but there are some that choose to live that way as they consider it their right and freedom to live the way they want - no schedules to follow, no house to maintain, etc... but when the weather is bad it is heart breaking to see them out in it that is for sure.

Susan said...

Who knows what has happened in his life to put him on the streets. Everyone has a story. Life is cruel for some. Good for you Mary... your heart is in the right place.

Mary said...

Amen everyone. I hope he has found a comfortable place and a helping hand.