Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, August 22, 2011

Second Hand Furniture and The Window Challenge

I picked up a little stool with a seat of woven cane off the curb a few years ago.  Apparently the neighbor thought it should go to the dump after her basement flooded.  Well, I saw the little stool's potential and rescued it and eventually the cane came loose and was replaced with a plastic tub with locking lid.  I hide all sorts of outdoor treasures in there like matches and seeds and pens and knives and string.  I also use it as a table.


I don't seem to have any pictures of the table until I primed it.



Then I gave it a colorful coat of paint!



I was hoping to make the same transformation with this old chest I picked up.


Gotta love Sears!  And I do NOT live in Louisville (just in case you are wondering).



A little gorilla glue and a finish nail should take care of that loose bottom.   This is real wood folks.   

Next up are the windows.  Sigh.  The windows that have seen years of neglect.



Even the mailbox has been mistreated!


Can I save them?

5 comments:

Susan said...

Always good treasures to be found second-hand! You've a knack for hunting them out too.
Those windows are just begging for some TLC... they're in the right hands, with you on the job Mary.
Bet a glass of your wine is a very nice reward at the end of the day with your feet up :D)

Sue from Ky. said...

I love the cute little table.I get nauseous when I must pass on by, when I see great things that others are discarding.Pop fusses so when I bring things home I have scavenged from others garbage.He is usually OK with it when I have it all restored, but it is so embarrassing to him for others to know that his wife scavenges through the leavings of others.

Mary said...

Susan ~ You know me too well!!
Sawn48 ~ Tell Pop you have lots of company scavenging!

Dmarie said...

oh, yes, I think you can do it, Mary! (and I will look forward to seeing the results!)

Unknown said...

Of course you can salvage your mail box and the windows. It will all take time but I'll look forward to the results. Don't you enjoy the feeling of satisfaction when you stand back and admire the end product? Good job with the little table, Mary. Maa