Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, February 21, 2011

Lunchtime Art #1

I found this at lunch today.  I saw it outside the window.




I thought they would make some interesting pictures so I placed them haphazardly and started snapping away.


These are the seed pods from the dreaded southern sweet gum tree.  Those gnarly little fingers stick like velcro to the grass and leaves in your yard.  They are spiny hateful little reminders of the gummy resin that dripped from the tree in the spring and summer.   You know the gunk that you couldn't scrub off your shiny just-washed car.


In black and white they aren't as foreboding.  They look well, dead.  Or maybe like something you brush off your shirt when you come inside.  Magnified 100 times that is.


From this angle they look almost likeable.  The little  Sweet Gum family.  That's the old man on the right with his walking stick. Baby Gum is being trampled by Brother Gum so he can get in the picture.

If you are interested in more about this tree click the link. 

gum tree

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the artistic eye you have shown by photographing an annoying element...
~~HUGS~~

Buttons Thoughts said...

They look great. Good eye. Gum tree cool. B

Marie said...

My toddler loves those. I have dozens of these laying around the house just waiting for you to sit on them :):). I never thought of taking pics of them though, great job!

Unknown said...

Mmm...I get a bit like that sometimes. Prickly!! Hehe! Maa.

Mary said...

The world through the eye of a camera is a new perspective for me!

Independent at 50 said...

i like them! and i really like your photo.

Susan said...

I like what you've done with these Mary.
Yes, it's exciting to experiment with photography - and a lot of fun. Keep it up.

You've a great imagination too - just love the Sweet Gum Family :D