Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

He is BACK!!

I had given him up for dead but but in the past week my little squirrel friend has returned.  I had kept nuts out for him or whoever might replace him.  I was thrilled to see him out there one morning.  Within 3 visits he was trusting me again to lift the window and hand him a nut.
I didn't get a picture of his tail this trip but I saw that it had an open wound on it.  Squirrels need their tails for a number of reasons and this little guy's life is only complicated for only having half of his tail!  The wound looked healthy and I look for him to recover.

This was taken back in the summer.  He knocks if I haven't left him something to eat on the sill.  It is much more important to feed him when the weather is like this....

I'll be sure to leave both soft and hard shelled nuts on the sill.  After he eats his wife comes by and has a bite and takes some back to the nest.  Today they will be cuddled up in their nest because the wind is howling.  Most of the eastern USA is in the midst of a winter storm.  We, luckily have escaped this one and just have rain and wind and perhaps a little later some snow.

Isn't he cute?

5 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Dear Mary he is cute. B

Susan said...

Oh Mary, I was so delighted reading your post. It's lovely how you're caring for your little friend. To gain the trust of an animal in the wild is a wonderful thing .... and that photo of him standing up looking in the window - oh I'm just melting :)

Marie said...

Wow, he lets you hand him a nut? Mmmmm, maybe I should try with the ones that come on the porch.

Mary said...

I crack the window open far enough for the nut to fit, and he swipes his little paws in and grabs it! I've been feeding him going on 3 years.

Bruise Mouse said...

He certainly is gorgeous. ; )