Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Visitor!

I have finally gotten to a place in my life where I have a home with room for other people. That may sound strange. Growing up my mother always opened our home to others that needed a temporary home to finish out the school year, or a place to stay between jobs, and other reasons. These people were not all family, in fact, most of them were not. And it seems that karma has followed me around all my life. Everywhere I have lived I have had a family adopt me like Momma did others. Finally, I bought my first house and settled down and have began doing what my mother taught me. Do we all get more like our mothers as we age?  I know my mother would be proud of me.  I'm bringing her favorite brother to stay with me for awhile.



This is the little church we attended and where a lot of my people are buried.  It saddened me to see that the stained glass in the steeple was broken.  I can still see and hear the after church chatter.  Men stood to the right at the bottom of the steps and talked about the crops.  The women clustered to the left and talked about what was for Sunday dinner.  The old ladies wore hats they had probably had since the 1940's.  I loved those hats!


This is down the road a piece.  The field is fallow right now but beautiful.

  Farmland.  A lot of farms are still active but many have been lotted out and sold.  At one time I could have named who owned this land.


If you look closely you can see the silo back by the barn.  When I was there only the big time farmers had a structure for silage.  The others just put up hay in the barn.  There is nothing in this world that smells as sweet as a newly cut field of alflalfa.

Life is a bit different right now.  It is filled with old memories of bygone times.  Lovely really.

3 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

Mary, I do the same thing. I travel the roads where I grew up.Snapping pictures along the way. No one left that we use to know. Where Dad's 120 acre farm once was, is now a fancy subdivision. No sign that we were ever there. Mom says it's like being in "The Twilight Zone"(if you remember that show.

Susan said...

Mary, that was lovely to read your memories and to see those photos of your country. I agree, we can look at our lives and see bits of our loved ones in us.

Independent at 50 said...

how very right you are "there is nothing in this world that smells as sweet as a newly cut field of alfalfa" i love the days when i'm back on "the hill", the air is warm and breeze smells of "cuttin' done".