Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, April 4, 2011

Jammin'

While blog hopping I found this curious recipe for jam on  Rose's site.  I am so unimpressed with the omnipresence of high fructose corn syrup I'd been wanting to make my own jam, but dreading the mess it makes.  Perfect!  Check it out...
I even made notes how I did it.  Serious jamming this is!



Fresh blackberries.  Still on sale so I used up about $3 of berries.

Everything goes into the bread maker.

The pouch of pectin was 3 ounces so I did a bit of measuring first.  Next time I'll probably just use the powdered kind.  Here is liquid pectin.


It came from this box...I think they just charge more because its liquid.  This box was almost $4 and it claims one pouch will set a quart of most fruits.  I had 2.5 cups and used almost a whole pouch.

Next I had to study the breadmaker instructions.  I found them online as my breadmaker was bought half price or more 15 years ago at a discount outlet for damaged and open box items.  I have another identical one someone gave me.

I opted for the quick bread selection.  I wish I had played with the controls first because it automatically sets to 30 minutes.

I punched a bunch of buttons and got it to "Quick" and hit start!
Lookin good!  After I realized I couldn't change the setting for it to bake longer I got out the other machine and figured it out.  Did a bit of synchroniziation and when this maker quit I grabbed the bucket and put it in the other maker to finish up.  Next time I'll just arrow up to 65 minutes and be done with it.  Hindsight, as you know......

I won't need jam until the wild berries ripen in July!  And yes I tasted it and it was very good!  I don't know how it will set up yet but it doesn't matter.  I'll eat it even if I have to sop it up with a biscuit!  I mean really, what self respecting Kentuckian doesn't sop up their plate anyway?

Thanks Rose!

6 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

Y U M !

Unknown said...

Mary I have never thought to use my bread maker to make jam. Thank you for reminding me. I might just give this a go sometime as it looks like the mess is kept to a minimum. Your jam looks yummy! Maa.

Sue from Ky. said...

Just found you today through one of your comments to some of my blogger friends. I will be following and checking out your blog over the next few days.I am in what you might call Central Ky.I love blogging to no end. I have mine made into little books. I've had 6 made so far. I can't think of anything at the moment that I enjoy more. I know you will love it too.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Mary Breadmaker jam you learn something new everyday. Cool it looks good. B

Mary said...

Thank you all for your comments! I got the idea from Rose. I can't take credit for any of it.

Welcome sawn48, glad you visited and we aren't so far apart either.

Independent at 50 said...

Bread machine...wow! i love it.
nuttin' better than soppin' up the yummy endings. my grandpa used to pour blackstrap molasses on his plate, mash butter into them, then soppin' up with his biscuit. i have great memories of doin' the with him.