Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Hometown

I had to make a trip back home and while I was there I took some pictures when I had some down time.  It had been many many years since I had looked off the bluff from the east.


I'd like to see out from the porch of that house!  But I can't so I look to the west.





Back down at river level.....


 Yes, that is the same bridge.


Right behind me a road has been closed to make a nature trail.  When I was a kid people hauled water from the falls to people who had cisterns.  Many people in the country still use cisterns or wells if they can tap them.  The water perculates from a vast aquifer of something around 400 acres. 



Country folks have to be reminded about their dogs although I have yet to see a dog, let alone a dog on a leash in town!




This looks like a lady's slipper.


This is a rose.  My visit wasn't a happy one.  R.I.P. my friend.  And for my loyal readers, well Rupert has gone missing.  I am told he was going to accompany my friend on her final journey but he seems to have disappeared from his place on her bed.  Perhaps she had better plans for him, or maybe he's just under the bed.  Time will tell.



This is a typical house that used to be found all over downtown.  A natural disaster in the 1970's destroyed most of them.  I have always admired this house through the years.  It reminds me of the house I walked to for my piano lessons in grade school.

Finally, this is where I got one of my first kisses.  The steps have been restored but they are still in the same location.  People used to walk from downtown to each of the bluffs via a set of steps on each side.


Lots and lots of memories I revisited.  I guess I will always be a small town country gal.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Mary, I'm so sorry that your trip back home was for a very sad reason. Your Rupert did his job admirably, and I've a feeling that perhaps your friend found a good home for him.

You've a beautiful home town, especially with it's great drinking water too which would be prized today as well. A bit easier to access no doubt!
I admire all the photos you've taken. Lovely views of those homes on the bluff. I can only imagine how wonderful it'd be to take in the scenery from their windows and verandahs.

I share your admiration for that particular style of house too Mary - such character and presence.

Ha ha, glad to see the doggie signs - keeps the neighbourhood nice and tidy (shoes too) ;-)

Oh those childhood memories - that wooded walkway to the bluffs is just magical.
Thanks for sharing these memory photos with us Mary, I've loved seeing them very much :D)

Mary said...

Thank you Susan. Unfortunately, a hepatitis outbreak in the 1980's led to the falls being closed and then years later the road was closed as well. I am happy it is a trail though. The tales that road could tell, as well as the boat docks on the river! I will let you know if Rupert is ever found.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Mary what a wonderful place to grow up. I am sorry you could not see your porch. I love to go back and see where my roots began it always makes you feel renewed. B