Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, May 2, 2011

Kentucky Spring in Photos

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the world where I spent my youth.  This part of Kentucky isn't mountainous, but has beautiful rolling hills.


This is not too far as the crow flies from where I lived.  That property is no longer in the family (neither is this one but I'm always welcome there as if I were family).




I included a sunset shot over the hills just so you could see the woods before the trees are full.



In the background you can see the maples just beginning to leaf.   The next photo is a typical Kentucky backroad.



Here is a close up through the barbed wire fence.  I still have scars from going through these fences as a kid!  In Kentucky it is pronounced "Bob Wahr" like it is some bad dude that will cut you up if you trespass!!  And it does!



And this my friends is the mighty Ohio River!  My official hometown is located on the banks of this river even though I never lived in town.  Those of you who participated with the Rupert project might recall my friend, this picture was taken in her backyard.


Across the river you can see Indiana, our neighboring state.  The bottom land is treasured by farmers and is very rich and fertile. 




Finally, I give you Rosie.  She resides on the farm pictured in the first image. She is a lucky kitty cat even though part of her tail is missing.


Until next time!  MMMMMMMMMMMWAH!  From Rosie of course!


6 comments:

Sue from Ky. said...

I went around our area and took shots of the lavender fields myself. I was going to post about them,but decided on other things.It was amazing this year. So many of the fields were in full bloom with the beautiful lavender wildflowers.I think it's a form of Ajuga.

Unknown said...

What a lovely place to grow up in, Mary. Thank you for sharing. Maa

Mary said...

Sawn48~someone told me it was chickweed and I agree. The good thing about that stuff is it pulls easy!

Maa~I'm partial to it ;)

Susan said...

Hi Mary, thank you for sharing your photos of your home land. The rolling hills are evident in your pics.
It's great to have all that open land and space when growing up isn't it.
Ouch, that wire would've hurt!
Love Rosie's pics too - a cat with a sense of humour ;-)

BumbleVee said...

how I love it when cats and dogs go straight for the lens....hahahha so cute...what a lovely face she has....

Independent at 50 said...

Home Sweet Home....i would know it anywhere