Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Attention Potential Winemakers!!

Hello and Welcome!

In response to Rhonda's post over on her blog down-to-earth I'm going to be blogging about my winemaking process.  For those of you who stop by and want to join in I'll go ahead and list the items you need to start.  Don't worry. Wine is a patient slow process and you can start any time.  All of the fun is at the beginning as is most of the action and it isn't a race so you can join at your convenience.

These are friends sampling a bottle of my favorite recipe!


See how happy it makes you!


HARDWARE

2 gallon jugs (glass)  (if you want to start 2 gallons have 3 jugs etc)
airlocks for the jugs 
funnel
2 gallon food grade bucket with loose fitting lid


ORGANICS

wine yeast
fruit and or concentrate

You will also need some citric acid or acid blend and pectin.  Depending on the type of wine maybe some tannin.  Wine can be made without these things but it greatly improves the flavor and the chances at your wine being a success.  I will select a wine and list the necessary additives later.

Please Note

I use metabisulfite to sterilize.  I do not use campden tablets.  They are used to stop the fermentation process completely......I've not found it necessary to add.

Here in the USA it is legal to brew wine and beer as long as you do not sell it.  I do not know the laws in other countries so if you are outside the US you might want to check.

Leave a comment if you have starting questions and I'll try to answer them or point you to a resource.










 I talk American so keep that in mind.  Making wine isn't like bread so a few ounces here and there won't matter as long as you have hungry yeast.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Mary, your friends do look very pleased with the wine!
I won't be in to winemaking at this present time, however, I'll be following your progress with much interest and as a possible reference for a future project :D

Mary said...

I just did it on a whim in response to Rhonda's blog. Not everyone likes wine nor has the patience to make it. However, I do like to cook with it as well as drink it and it makes an inexpensive way to have plenty on hand for both activities! I usually drink most of mine though. :)

Independent at 50 said...

we were happy!! the wine was delicious...a very smooth velvet like feel and taste.