Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, July 30, 2012

Dashi!

I can't believe I have waited this long to do something as simple as making dashi.  I think perhaps its mystique came from a childhood friend.  She was half japanese which was very unusual for the rural area where I lived.  When I'd visit her mother was always cooking the strangest foods.  She'd slap seaweed over a gas flame to brown it and ate noodles out of a small bowl with chopsticks.  She also slurped (gasp) and drank from her bowl (double gasp).  My momma would have knocked me into next week if I did either of those things!



What could be easier than simply slowly boiling this  sea "vegetable"?  I am not sure if I'm supposed to eat it so I tossed it after it cooled.  It was a bit chewy and tasteless.





I just finished my first cup of dashi with white miso.  Very comforting I might add.

What comforts have you enjoyed lately?

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Mary, I had a chuckle at your gasps ;D) Same here though, any slurping etc was not allowed. Our SE Asian trip opened my eyes in regard to different cultures. Always something new to learn.
Had read about the health benefits of drinking miso and it was interesting to read your post.
We indulged in some comfort food yesterday. It was just plain old baked beans, chips (white potato and sweet potato) and eggs... lol, nothing exotic but easy and satisfying.
Cheers for now :D)

Mary said...

I know our cuisine isn't steeped in centuries of tradition like the asian cultures. I think I feel better when I eat live food though. That and fresh food.

I wonder if Aussie baked beans are like ours? We bake them in sorghum, onions, mustard and bacon (with a few other dashes of this and that)

The Good Luck Duck said...

This is the third time today I've read the word dashi. Is this a message? I did have miso soup with (alarmingly unfamiliar) sea vegetables for lunch. I have to go look something up now.