Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Barn Charm

Linking with Tricia over at Bluff Area Daily .

I gathered some photos on my trip home for Thanksgiving.


Tobacco in Barn Meade County, Kentucky
 Since it is that time of year when people start stripping tobacco I thought I would feature a couple of barns with tobacco.  Years ago everyone who had land had a tobacco patch.  Many a family had their Christmas  off of the money when the tobacco (or toobacker as they say) sold in late November and December.  Now its hard to even find a barn with tobacco and even then it isn't much.





The last two photos were of a different barn.  These aren't the traditional barns and the tobacco is really small, but you get the idea. 



I love the musky aroma of tobacco curing in the open air.  Hand rolled cigs from tobacco like this doesn't stink either.  Imagine that.

8 comments:

Carletta said...

Love the first shot!
We moved back to West Virginia about four years ago and a few farms were growing tobacco that first year. Since then I haven't seen much.
Thanks for your visit.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna ask about the smell... I just wish it wasn't so bad for us, I quit smoking Oct 12 2010, so a year & a month ago! YaY mE! =)

Cool barns & post, thanks for joining Barn Charm =)

Debbie said...

charming place. we saw lots of tobacco farms in lancaster, pa.

Lesley said...

There used to be quite a few tobacco farms in south western Ontario, but I am not sure how many are still around. This might call for a road trip.... I had no idea that there would be no smell.

Rose said...

Sure brings back a lot of memories for me...

Anonymous said...

Wow. wow. Wow. I've never seen this. It's fascinating. I bet you have some stories to tell. Thanks for sharing the history.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mary. I have never seen a tobacco farm very interesting. B

Carole said...

I've seen a few tobacco barns during barn charm blog excursions. Interesting to me since we don't have them out west. Great shots.

Barn Charm 60