Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, October 24, 2011

Peppers Peppers and More Peppers!

This summer was a hard one for tomatoes, but everyone has had a bumper crop of peppers.  A co worker gives me all of his.


These are sweet bananas.  The brown seeded ones have been in the fridge awhile.  Rather than throw them into the compost I decided to dry them.  I had great success with the sweet bell peppers I diced so these were cut into rings by my trusty helper.



I rescued this dehydrater from a friend's basement.  It was going to be thrown away and I can't stand that!

Next are the jalapenos.  They will be dried this evening.




I let the peppers swim while the water boils for their bath.  The blanching kills all the micro organisms that will cause mold.  Then they get sliced.



They are waiting in the fridge for me to get home and start drying them!

I've also started some sourdough with Rose over at Greening The Rose.  My conversion from metric didn't look like her batter, but I got up this morning to (drumrollllllllll please...........)  BUBBLES!


The little black dots are bubbles.  I figured the starter was hungry and I couldn't remember if I fed it yesterday so I fed it again.  This is what it looks like now.



Paste.  But I have high hopes there will be bubbles this evening when I get home!  This evening I plan on racking some wine, drying peppers and having a quiet night alone.  My idea of heaven on earth.

Have a great day!