Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Monday, October 3, 2011

Kim Chee

I'm in a fermenting mood.  I finally got around to actually getting my own copy of "Wild Fermentation" and getting all the ingredients together to make kim chee.


I chopped up some carrots and napa.  You can add turnips, radishes and probably whatever else you like.  I let it soak in brine overnight then the next afternoon I started with the real ingredients that make kim chee so good!



The ginger jammed up my little grater so I decided to use the larger one  as well.  I trimmed the "beard" with scissors when necessary.  I hate those little strings!


Next up are onions, peppers and garlic.



Do you see the gun dru or whatever that fermented kale is called lurking in the background?  I'm going to taste it soon.



Mmmmm garlic.  The house smelled great with the ginger and garlic.

Everything is chopped and ready to go.



Into the bucket to mix it goes!



The napa and carrots were a bit salty, but I decided to leave them and I can always rinse the kim chee before I eat it or dilute it later. 



I tamped the kim chee down forcing the brine to the top.  This is so simple I can't imagine why I haven't done it before.  Its as easy as pickles.  After reading how healthy the little microrganisms are for you I'm excited to start eating it.  I will have a happy digestive system for sure.

I didn't make this batch very spicy.  I figured I could add peppers to it as needed.

In one week the kim chee will be ready to move to the fridge where it will keep indefinitely.  I will take the pint jar to work. 

The wine is fermenting slowly, the kale is ready, kim chee will be ready in a week, I thought I would take all the leftover squashes, green tomatoes, onions and add an eggplant, basil and maybe some cabbage and make a mixed pickle bucket.  How I wish I had my mother's crocks!  They are most likely sitting in my sister in law's house as decorations.

The weather is cooling off here and it will be nice to have some homemade pickled vegetables this winter.

For those of you whose blog I stop by blogger hasn't saved my messages lately.  I have been busy so remember I'm still here!  I am just not online as much as usual.  I have 3 projects in the works, one at work, and two personal.  I hope to blog about the latter two in a week or so.

I will leave you with a pretty picture.


Angus.  I love cows.

4 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

i see a lot of crocks sitting in peoples houses used as decorations, I feel your pain!!! although i have one and a glass one. Im such a "gunna" (going to do) I think maybe i spend too much time reading and not enuff doing, I should do this recipe too, ive got lots of pakchoi growing that needs to be dealt with or eaten now. I shall be interested in how the kale tastes.
meanwhile, i have 3 hours left of my holiday then i have to go to a lecture so i might do a batch of soap. why are holidays never long enough????

Buttons Thoughts said...

Mary I am intrigued by this Kim Chee I have never had it and love the look of it it sounds so good. I will be watching the process and await the results.
Pretty picture indeed:) B

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

P.s i just got something in the mail :)
thank you mary, very kind of you, i love them and i will use them.

Susan said...

You're always so productive Mary! I can imagine all the delicious smells in your kitchen. The Kim Chee looks pretty just sitting stuffed in its jar, let alone tasting it.
Hope you can get your hands on some crocks eventually.
Cheerio for now :D)