Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meatloaf a la Marilyn

I had a request to make meatloaf.  Lots of it so it could be frozen and put in lunches. 

I always think of my momma when I make meatloaf.  It was one of the staples of our suppers throughout the week.  I still make it like she taught me.  The basic recipe that is.


Onions and peppers are the essential ingredients.  I like more than this in mine because it makes it juicy and gooooood, but this is for a person that picks the little pieces of onion and pepper out.  Imagine!  Wasting all those bits of goodness!  I mince them up to make it more of a  challenge ;)



Next up is 2 lbs of hamburger.



 Nice and fatty!  Mix it up.  I defy Marilyn and use my hands.  She wouldn't approve probably because she never knew where my hands had been and if they were clean under the fingernails.  I assure you they were this time.

Add the seasonings.





 Salt, pepper, two eggs, a few shakes of worcestershire sauce and a good glug of milk or cream.



I sneak in some Tony's.  SHSH!! Don't tell momma!

Mix and shape WITH A FORK! 



Pop it into a 350 degree oven for an hour.  I pour off the grease about half way through.  That is always a challenge not to burn myself, or dump the meatloaf from the pan and get the grease into a waste container.  I rarely succeed at all three.  Today I did!  The Gods were smiling.


Momma used tomato paste on top (added the last 20 minutes of baking) and if we didn't have that we used ketchup.  I prefer ketchup.  Of course, you can use anything you like.  Go ahead!  Defy momma!  Put some bbq sauce on there or maybe some chutney (that would really puzzle her)!  There really is only one rule you shall not break whilst making Meatloaf a la Marilyn.  Thou shalt not put cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, oats or any other grain in thy meatloaf.  Tis a sin.  Punishable by a greasy stick to the top of your mouth when cold meatloaf.
We ate a lot of meatloaf when I was a kid.  We slaughtered a calf every fall and ate the whole thing throughout the next year.  Lots and lots of hamburger.  We used to freeze chopped green peppers in jars and then take a knife and knock them out to add to meatloaf in the winter.  Fresh vegetables where very expensive if you could find them at all.  We were lucky to have a stocked deep freeze full of meat and vegetables.

In the winter we would have served this with mashed potatoes, peas, kale greens and cornbread.  All from our garden except the corn meal.

Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

Brenda The Bregle Rebel Bag Lady said...

ok, next time i make meatloaf im gonna leave out the usual breadcrumbs or oats and try it like this. I hate that....that greasy roof of the mouth thing!!

Susan said...

Oooh Mary, I could just about hear you licking your lips as you made your meatloaf. Yum... I like it too.
Only difference to the sauce I spread on mine is that I add a teaspoon of mustard and a teaspoon of brown sugar to the tomato sauce - gives it a little kick. (The thought just occurred that the ketchup you have might be a little spicier than our tomato sauce perhaps.)
Just love cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day.
Mmmmm, now my lips are smacking - think we'll have meatloaf real soon. Thanks for the reminder :D)

Humble wife said...

Woooow!! This is a delightful post that like Susan said...makes me drool!! How cute the fork top looks. I never thought of that and am amazed at how a simple thing can make the meal seem more lovely!!

Thanks
Jennifer