Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sunrise Bird

Remember this picture?

Photo Credit: Don McClure Havre de Grace, Maryland


At my first painting class my teacher instructed us to pick a landscape that had some meaning to us.  The first painting she wanted us to paint a landscape because they are relatively easy.  I picked my friend Don's picture because it had a "thing" in it (a bird) and I had been playing with blending colors.

The first class we did a value drawing like the old masters.

Value Painting


Next I started to add colors.

 
 
 
 
Then I lost the bird.
 
 


But after many layers I was pleased with everything but the bird.  However, Sunrise Bird's new owner declared it finished and I condescended to her wishes.


Had I "finished" it I would have made the bird a bit more like the picture.  But all in all I am very pleased with the result.  Kudos to my painting teacher Christine Kuhn.  She is amazing.

3 comments:

BLD in MT said...

Holy smokes, Mary. That is incredible. I'd hang that on my wall in a heartbeat. Amazing. And I am sure glad you've found this outlet. I'd been wondering about you, in your long absence. Your porch looks GREAT, too. I never painted when we bought the house. And I've been meaning to get around to it ever since.

Mary said...

Thanks! Many beginning painters often have paintings family and friends generously take.

I'm always on the prowl for a beautiful photo I want to paint. If you have a favorite send it my way!

Sue (this n that) said...

Good on you Mary, I truly love the composition, colours and the contentment that pours out of your painting. It's wonderful.
I cover my walls with my own paintings, isn't it so satisfying to look at them and think "I did that!".
I'm so happy you've opened up this beautiful activity and can indulge in it whenever you feel the need.
Happy painting :D) xx