Welcome!

This is a blog about everyday life. Food, gardening, photography, and nature. What you won't find are pictures of lots of people.



Please leave a comment so I can pop over to your blog and visit!


Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Squirrel Hunting

As many of you know I have a squirrel as a best friend.  It is a sad state of affairs when I love a squirrel  more than the majority of my co workers.  By majority I mean a very high percentage too!  It isn't that they are bad folks they are just so very different from me in most ways.  I pretend that they find me exotic.  I have no idea what they really think because my mind doesn't work like theirs.  They think it is very strange that I put bananas in the freezer for my smoothie.  Obviously, smoothies are too hippie for them.  Given this information it probably won't come as any surprise that they would be shocked that I would go squirrel hunting. 




Rest assured that the squirrels were safe from me.  I wasn't really hunting.  It was all for show.  When I visit my brother back in the woods I just have to get outside and in the last few years he's a bit offended that I don't want to spend all the time with him.  In the house.  In front of the TV.  Ugh.  Hunting gives me the perfect excuse to get outside for some tranquility.

I haven't hunted in 40 years.  But it is no different now than it was then.  I did a little target practice with my brother's .22 the night before just in case I decided to get serious.  Besides, I love shooting a .22 and this was one sweet Remington.   I could hit a 2 inch square at about 30 to 40 feet.  That isn't great shooting but for me after 40 years with an unfamiliar firearm I was satisfied.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I missed a squirrel anyway.


The next morning it was nearly freezing and not a living thing was hardly moving in the woods.  I saw two birds and heard 3 squirrels.  The squirrels laughed at me.  I sat and listened to the leaves and the laughing squirrels.  I was fine with that.  Naturally, since I was squirrel hunting a flock of wild turkeys appeared.  They were close enough I could almost see their eyes.  But since I didn't know if they were in season I just watched them walk over the hill.  Proud Tom followed by 7 or 8 hens.  They cackled as they sauntered away.  I smiled. 

 (The turkey below is the one I chased across the parking lot into the brush here at the office a couple of years ago.)




I scouted the woods out and found 4 places where the squirrels were eating.  The leaves were still on the trees and the nuts were still falling.  There were lots and lots of hickory nuts.  I think the squirrels are eating acorns for the most part and they'll be back for the hickory nuts later.  At least it looked that way to me.

The next morning was warmer and the sun popped out.  I saw lots of birds and just strolled through the woods with absolutely no intention of killing a squirrel.  I heard the turkeys.  I went to the shag bark hickory tree and listened to the squirrel eat above me fully hidden by the leaves.  On my way back to the house I saw a gray squirrel on his way back to his little home in the tree.  He seemed unafraid and moseyed along.  I tried to get him in my sights but he knew just how fast to hop.  Like I said.  The squirrels are safe from me.

Getting old is funny business.  I don't like to kill things and that is why I quit hunting.  But somehow being out in the woods by myself just being quiet with a rifle in my hands made me feel young again.  I've had a hankering for some fried squirrel too which is what got this whole hunting business started. Just sitting there waiting I felt like the day held so much promise like it did when I was a kid.  Of course, the rifle has nothing to do with that, but it is a link to my past.  As I get older I find comfort in these old memories of the things I learned.  Sitting motionless listening for the sounds of nuts dropping, the rustle of leaves and watching for a branch to shake when it shouldn't reminded me of the days when the opportunity to go into the woods and hunt was an event that I anticipated for weeks and weeks.  The day of the hunt we'd get up before daylight and head to the woods to find a spot and wait for the light of day. 

Next weekend I go back.  Don't worry.  The squirrels will be safe from me then as well.  I'm sure they will laugh at me again.

2 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Laughing squirrels, cackling turkeys falling nuts and rustling leaves are the reason I sit in the woods for hours. There is no place I would rather be. Beautiful writing Mary Merry Christmas Have a nice time this weekend in the woods. I will be in the woods too but with snow shoes and a foot of snow still beautiful and the squirrels still laugh.Enjoy HUG B

Susan said...

Hi Mary, it was good to read your story ... hmmm, I'm a bit late but better late than never eh.
I can understand how you like to reminisce about your earlier days, it's nice, and it's yours.
I'm sure you enjoyed going back to the woods and I guess those squirrels were there... still laughing!
Oh yes, by the way, over here we all like to freeze our bananas - they taste just like icecream don't they! It's good to keep them that way until ready to use them in a banana cake too. Cheers now :D)